Friday 4 January 2013

Introduction


Like many PC gamer's, I use Steam to buy games digitally. Steam regularly has awesome sales, with temptingly low discounts on all sorts of games. Too tempting sometimes… Often I can’t help myself when I see a game I've been curious about with a 75% discount. It may be a chance to explore a genre I've not tried before, or to find out what all the fuss was about a few months/years ago.

Then I’ll either have a brief paddle in its digital shoreline before returning to my current main game, or never even start it up, leaving it to whimper quietly in a dusty corner of my Steam library.

This results in a massive backlog of un-played or barely played games just sitting there unloved. I know I'm not the only one in this situation, and it’s not exactly the end of the world, but I've decided to do something about it.

Throughout 2013 I’ll endeavour to play as many of these in an attempt to broaden my gaming horizons, and hopefully reduce the backlog a smidge.

The rules (which I may arbitrarily break at any time) are:-

  •         Use a random number generator to choose which game to play.
  •         The chosen game must've been played for 5 hours or less.
  •         Play as many games to completion as possible (this’ll be the first rule to be broken!)
  •          To help with the above, play on “easy” if appropriate.
  •          I can give up on a game if I'm just not enjoying it – this is supposed to be fun after all.


 I won’t slavishly stick to playing just games picked at random as I still have my favourites I’ll want to continue with, plus any new additions to the collection will want some attention too. There are also the games on other game services too… but I’ll worry about those later!

Onwards! I wonder what the first choice will be…

No comments:

Post a Comment